Programs > Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
American University in Sharjah
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2016||09/15/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Academic Year||2016-2017||03/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Program Type:||Direct Enroll||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Language Prerequisite:||No||Housing Options:||Dormitory|
|Minimum GPA:||2.75||Program Advisor:||Office of Education Abroad (Email email@example.com)|
|Courses Offered:||Accounting, Aerospace Engineering, Arabic, Art History, Arts, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical Engineering, English, Environmental Studies, Film, Finance, History, International Studies, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Pre-Architecture, Psychology, Sociology, Statistics, Theater, Women's and Gender Studies, World Literature|
American University of Sharjah (AUS) is a comprehensive, independent, non-profit, coeducational institution of higher education that fosters excellence in teaching, learning and research. Based on an American model of higher education and grounded in the culture of the Gulf region, AUS fosters a community that embraces cultural diversity and whose members are committed to the ideals of open intellectual inquiry, ethical behavior and social and civic responsibility. An engaged, productive and effective member of society, AUS educates lifelong learners who display mastery in the core competencies of their areas of specialization, and who communicate clearly, think critically and solve problems creatively.
AUS offers you the chance to experience authentic American education in the Gulf: this statement has four meanings:
- The standard of instruction is the same as that of outstanding universities in America.
- The method of classroom instruction is American in its emphasis on individual initiative, active learning and the application of knowledge.
- Student life on campus is rich with clubs, sports and cultural events.
- The curriculum is organized according to the American pattern of semesters and courses.
There are two programs available in Sharjah:
1) The Summer Intensive Arabic Language Program at the American University of Sharjah offers beginning and intermediate-level Arabic students the chance to earn six credits while living at the AUS and exploring the UAE. This 6-week, 6-credit course aims to develop elementary and advanced elementary language skills through formal classroom instruction and daily conversation practice with a native speaker. The program is offered by the Department of Arabic Language and Translation Studies (ATS), in coordination with the International Exchange Office (IXO), and includes housing on our beautiful AUS campus in Sharjah, along with weekend excursions to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Two courses are offered: Intensive Elementary Arabic I is suitable for absolute beginners or students with only a very rudimentary knowledge of the Arabic language; while Intensive Elementary Arabic II is suitable for students who have previously taken one or two courses in the Arabic language. All elementary- and advanced elementary-level Arabic students are encouraged to apply. Online placement tests will be administered upon acceptance into the program. Students will be placed into the appropriate section based on test results, plus a follow-up Skype interview.
2) Direct Enroll: International exchange students are welcome to take courses in all four AUS colleges and schools:College of Architecture, Art and Design (CAAD) - the only Architecture program outside of North America holding the prestigious NAAB accreditation
College of Arts and Science (CAS) - including, e.g., Arabic and Translation Studies, and International Studies programs
College of Engineering (CEN) - all programs ABET-accredited
School of Business and Management (SBM) - AACSB-accredited
Speciality courses include: Islamic Banking and Finance, Arabic and Gulf Studies, Islamic Architecture and Design
The standard of instruction is the same as that of outstanding universities in America; the method of classroom instruction is American in its emphasis on individual initiative, active learning and the application of knowledge; student life on campus is rich with clubs, sports and cultural events. The curriculum is organized according to the American pattern of semesters and courses. This program utilizes the same grading scale and credit system as the USA. AUS has a faculty of the highest distinction in order to provide the best possible courses of instruction. These faculty members have been distinguished not only for their dedication to excellence in teaching but also for their engagement at the forefront of their disciplines in scholarship and research. Here you will discover that our mission is not narrowly focused on providing only a technical education. Far more than that, AUS prides itself on our track record of educating leaders who have a broad experience of many intellectual traditions, many ways of knowing.
The university's architecture degree program became the first program of its kind outside North America to be given accreditation by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) of the United States; The College of Engineering is ranked the number one choice of engineering students around the region; and the School of Business and Management is one of the top choices for business students in the Gulf. The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is committed to its practice of providing educational outreach to the community at large by conducting educational events such as conferences, open lectures, special event days and theatrical performances.
At AUS, we encourage our students to take any opportunity that helps them grow and develop as global citizens and actively engage with numerous other partner universities and organizations to achieve that goal. The campus has 23 sports teams (13 for males and 10 for females) and 64 student clubs (32 cultural clubs and 32 non-cultural clubs).
One of the most important features of life at AUS is its truly multicultural environment: they have close to 80 nationalities on campus! Their Office of International Exchange Programs was established to foster and enhance this very aspect.
Living in Sharjah
American University Sharjah is located in one of the seven territories that comprise the United Arab Emirates (UAE)–Sharjah–and is a perfect choice for the student who seeks a unique and traditional experience in the Emirate that is known as the culture center of the UAE. Sharjah is rich in museums, historical centers, exquisite mosques and souks (markets) that reflect centuries-old Arab architecture, history and customs. From ancient times to the modern day, Sharjah boasts a well-deserved reputation throughout the region as an important center of commerce and trade as well as art and culture.
While abroad, students continue to pay their Case tuition rather than the tuition at their new institution. In addition there are several expenses students’ financial aid can potentially help to fund. These are listed in the attachments below.