Programs > Brochure
IES Abroad Galápagos Islands Direct Enrollment - Galápagos Academic Institute for the Arts and Sciences
Galapagos, Ecuador (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2016||09/15/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2016||03/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Program Type:||Third Party Provider||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Language Prerequisite:||No||Housing Options:||Home Stay|
|Minimum GPA:||3.0||Program Advisor:||Office of Education Abroad (Email firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Courses Offered:||Earth Sciences, Ecology, Environmental Geology, Environmental Studies, Evolutionary Biology, Marine Science||Program Purpose:||Study|
All About IES:
We're ready to show you something extraordinary:
- Whether you've always known you'd study abroad or are considering it for the first time, something extraordinary happens when you go abroad. Every day we see how studying abroad changes students' lives, and our mission has always been to provide the best cultural and academic experience abroad possible. How will study abroad redefine you? We can't wait to find out.
We put you first:
- From our advisor support before you leave to the support of our Center staff abroad, you are always our top priority. Whether it’s the orientation program that prepares you for what’s ahead, your housing that is well-located and comfortable, or advising you on the best courses to fit your academic needs—we’re all about our student services and support. This is just one of the things we’re known for.
We'll challenge you:
- You're smart. You worked hard to get to where you are, and our goal is to make sure that wherever you study abroad with us, you're surrounded by bright students like yourself. Prepare to meet other motivated students and faculty who will teach and challenge you in new and innovative ways. Our studies also show that by studying abroad, you are more likely to get your first job sooner after graduation and with a higher starting salary. Studying abroad is a wise decision!
We ♥ study abroad:
- You want to see the world and we're ready to show it to you. We’re not ashamed to say we’re a little bit obsessed with study abroad, which means providing you with a mind-bending, life-changing, opinion-altering study abroad experience is at the heart of what we do.
- We are a trusted study abroad partner to more than 200 U.S. colleges and universities. As a not-for-profit organization with over 60 years of leadership in study abroad, we dedicate our resources to offering you the best possible study abroad programs in more than 20 countries and 35 cities. And while the world is always changing, our commitment to honor the trust of students like you, your parents, and our partners is unwavering.
IES Abroad’s mission is simple: to provide you with the best study abroad program possible—which includes the highest quality academic and cultural experiences. That is why we partnered with USFQ and GAIAS.
This program utilizes the same grading scale and credit system as the USA. You take 15 credit hours per semester, and all courses are worth 3 credits.
The program offers the following tracks, which each consist of five course modules. Because tracks are designed to provide an academic focus, you can only substitute up to two courses of your track with courses from another track, as long as you meet all prerequisites and there are no scheduling conflicts. Additional non-credit elective courses in disciplines such as Spanish and Photography may also be available.
- Evolution, Ecology, and Conservation – You examine first-hand how Ecuador’s diverse ecosystems have been shaped by evolutionary processes and the role that distinct societies have played in the protection or transformation of these environments. Field study excursions will bring you to bio-diverse jungles, picturesque coastal regions, and to one of the world’s tallest volcanoes. To enroll in this track, you should have a background in Biology and Ecology.
- Marine Ecology – You examine the importance of marine conservation and the social aspects of marine management by combining coursework and fieldwork on the Pacific Coast and in the Galápagos Islands. You visit mangroves, wetlands, inter-tidal ecosystems, open oceans, and coral reefs as you study animal habitats and communities. To enroll in this track, you should have a background in Biology and Ecology.
- People, Politics, and the Environment – You explore the economic, cultural, and social issues that affect the relationship between humans and their environment. Coursework includes field study visits to several indigenous and traditional Andean communities. To enroll in this track, you should have at least two semesters of college Spanish.
Part of making you feel at home in the Galápagos Islands is doing our best to help you feel safe and cared for. Whether it is an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or the field trips that take you to places off the beaten path—we’re all about our student services. This is just one of the things we’re known for.
Life in Galapagos:
There’s a reason why some of the world’s most famous scientists have visited the Galápagos Islands—now it’s your turn to discover one of the world’s most beautiful and biologically-diverse island locations. It’s here that you will get hands-on experience studying topics such as Biology, Ecology, Environmental Studies, Marine Ecology, and Sociology.
This direct enrollment program is organized through the Galápagos Academic Institute for the Arts and Sciences (GAIAS), a remote campus of the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) located on the island of San Cristobal. Before you head to the Galápagos, the program will begin with a month in Quito, where you participate in an orientation, classes at USFQ, and field study excursions. The remaining months are spent on San Cristobal in the Galápagos Islands, although additional field study excursions allow you to spend time in other locations, as determined by your chosen track: Evolution, Ecology and Conservation; Marine Ecology; or People, Politics, and the Environment.
The Galápagos Islands and Quito will be your classroom. Witness the famous land iguanas and giant tortoises as you study the evolution of these unique species. Visit indigenous and traditional Andean communities to better understand the relationship between humans and their environment. Dive into the Pacific to get close to the marine life you will be learning about. Welcome to study abroad!
We want you to feel at home in the Galápagos, so we will do everything we can to help you integrate into life in the Galápagos Islands.
While abroad, students continue to pay their Case tuition rather than the tuition at their new institution. In addition there are several expenses students’ financial aid can potentially help to fund. These are listed in the attachments below.