Programs > Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
IES Abroad Cape Town - University of Cape Town
Cape Town, South Africa (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2016||09/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||02/15/2016||06/10/2016|
|Calendar Year||2016||09/15/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Academic Year||2016-2017||03/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Program Type:||Third Party Provider||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Language Prerequisite:||No||Housing Options:||Home Stay, On-Campus Apartment|
|Minimum GPA:||3.0||Program Advisor:||Office of Education Abroad (Email email@example.com)|
|Courses Offered:||Accounting, Anthropology, Archaeology, Art History, Art Studio, Astronomy, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Classics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Dance, Earth Sciences, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Engineering, English, Environmental Studies, Ethnic Studies, Film, French, German, History, International Studies, Italian, Law, Management, Marketing, Materials Science and Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Pre-Architecture, Pre-Health, Pre-Med, Psychology, Public Policy, Religious Studies, Service Learning, Sociology, Spanish, Statistics, Theater, Women's and Gender Studies|
All About IES:
We're ready to show you something extraordinary:
- Whether you've always known you'd study abroad or are considering it for the first time, something extraordinary happens when you go abroad. Every day we see how studying abroad changes students' lives, and our mission has always been to provide the best cultural and academic experience abroad possible. How will study abroad redefine you? We can't wait to find out.
- From our advisor support before you leave to the support of our Center staff abroad, you are always our top priority. Whether it’s the orientation program that prepares you for what’s ahead, your housing that is well-located and comfortable, or advising you on the best courses to fit your academic needs—we’re all about our student services and support. This is just one of the things we’re known for.
- You're smart. You worked hard to get to where you are, and our goal is to make sure that wherever you study abroad with us, you're surrounded by bright students like yourself. Prepare to meet other motivated students and faculty who will teach and challenge you in new and innovative ways. Our studies also show that by studying abroad, you are more likely to get your first job sooner after graduation and with a higher starting salary. Studying abroad is a wise decision!
- You want to see the world and we're ready to show it to you. We’re not ashamed to say we’re a little bit obsessed with study abroad, which means providing you with a mind-bending, life-changing, opinion-altering study abroad experience is at the heart of what we do.
- We are a trusted study abroad partner to more than 200 U.S. colleges and universities. As a not-for-profit organization with over 60 years of leadership in study abroad, we dedicate our resources to offering you the best possible study abroad programs in more than 20 countries and 35 cities. And while the world is always changing, our commitment to honor the trust of students like you, your parents, and our partners is unwavering.
Designed for students interested in health-related careers, this program enables you to examine health care delivery in South Africa. Field visits and placements in the townships surrounding Cape Town and a week-long rural excursion in the northern part of South Africa provide firsthand experience with the many health issues that plague South Africa, and the national effort to improve public health. The program is 6 credits. - See more at: http://www.iesabroad.org/study-abroad/programs/cape-town-summer
Our mission is simple: to provide you with the best study abroad program possible—which includes the highest quality academic and cultural experiences. That is why we partnered with the University of Cape Town.
This program utilizes the same grading scale and credit system as the USA. You take 15–19 credit hours per semester. Full year students may elect to take all of their courses at the University of Cape Town in their second semester.
IES Abroad also offers field experience courses in Environmental Studies, Health Studies, and Management through an in-depth and hands-on approach.
You create your own academic experience by selecting from the following required and optional program components:
- IES Abroad Field Experience Course: Focused on South Africa, the field research project includes a field placement at a local organization(required, 4 credits).
- 2-4 Courses at the University of Cape Town: Enroll in a minimum of 12 IES Abroad credits at UCT, in addition to the IES Abroad Field Experience course. We require that one of your UCT courses be South Africa-focused (3–6 credits).
Part of making you feel at home in Cape Town is doing our best to help you feel safe and cared for. Whether it is an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or the field trips that take you to places off the beaten path— we’re all about our student services. This is just one of the things we’re known for.
Life in Cape Town:
In Cape Town, every day will be like a choose-your-own-adventure book, with outdoor activities to enjoy, South African residents to meet, and African cultures to learn.
Field experience in and around Cape Town is a core component in our program. Participate in field work and research opportunities (such as like the University’s Students’ Health and Welfare Centres Organisation’s volunteer program) that will give you practical exposure to topics you’re learning in at South Africa’s leading research university, the University of Cape Town. Through these opportunities, you will get a first-hand look at the city’s society and landscape that are constantly changing.
While in South Africa, you’ll register for 2-4 courses at The University of Cape Town (UCT). Nestled into the beautiful slopes of Devil’s Peak, located in a pleasant suburban area five miles from the City Center, UCT first opened in 1829, as the South African College. UCT is South Africa’s oldest university and has undergone incredible change since its opening, particularly since the end of the apartheid, working to make quality higher education available to students regardless of race. UCT is officially recognized for its strengths in African Studies, Biology, Botany, Business, Environmental Sciences, History, Mathematics, Engineering, Sociology, and Anthropology.
Cape Town will be your classroom. From visiting local gems like the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens (a natural UNESCO World Heritage Site) and the Castle of Good Hope, we challenge you to take full advantage of South Africa’s beautiful climate and geography. We’ll also take you to Kruger National Park for a three-hour game drive with one of Kruger’s experienced game rangers. Hopefully your adventure will include seeing the “Big Five”—welcome to study abroad!
We want you to feel at home in South Africa, so we will do everything we can to help you integrate into life in Cape Town, from internships to cultural events. Get to know South Africa in a way only IES Abroad can show you.
While abroad, students continue to pay their Case tuition rather than the tuition at their new institution. In addition there are several expenses students’ financial aid can potentially help to fund. These are listed in the attachments below.