Programs > Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
IFSA-Butler Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
|Program Type:||Third Party Provider||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Language Prerequisite:||No||Housing Options:||On-Campus Apartment, On-Campus Dormitory|
|Minimum GPA:||3.5||Program Advisor:||Lisa Brown, Study Abroad Advisor|
|Courses Offered:||Anthropology, Applied Mathematics, Classics, English, Geological Sciences, Italian||Program Purpose:||Study|
We're ready to show you something extraordinary.
- Whether you've always known you'd study abroad or are considering it for the first time, something extraordinary happens when you go abroad. Every day we see how studying abroad changes students' lives, and our mission has always been to provide the best cultural and academic experience abroad possible. How will study abroad redefine you? We can't wait to find out.
- From our advisor support before you leave to the support of our Center staff abroad, you are always our top priority. Whether it’s the orientation program that prepares you for what’s ahead, your housing that is well-located and comfortable, or advising you on the best courses to fit your academic needs—we’re all about our student services and support. This is just one of the things we’re known for.
- You're smart. You worked hard to get to where you are, and our goal is to make sure that wherever you study abroad with us, you're surrounded by bright students like yourself. Prepare to meet other motivated students and faculty who will teach and challenge you in new and innovative ways. Our studies also show that by studying abroad, you are more likely to get your first job sooner after graduation and with a higher starting salary. Studying abroad is a wise decision!
- You want to see the world and we're ready to show it to you. We’re not ashamed to say we’re a little bit obsessed with study abroad, which means providing you with a mind-bending, life-changing, opinion-altering study abroad experience is at the heart of what we do.
- We are a trusted study abroad partner to more than 200 U.S. colleges and universities. As a not-for-profit organization with over 60 years of leadership in study abroad, we dedicate our resources to offering you the best possible study abroad programs in more than 20 countries and 35 cities. And while the world is always changing, our commitment to honor the trust of students like you, your parents, and our partners is unwavering.
IES Abroad’s mission is simple: to provide you with the best study abroad program possible—which includes the highest quality academic and cultural experiences. That is why we partnered with St. Catherine’s College at the University of Oxford.
Because of the high academic rigor of this program, a 3.85 GPA (out of 4.0) is required to participate.
IES Abroad Pre-Semester Tutorial in London - Required for Fall Students Only
To ensure fall semester-only students receive the 15 credits per semester required by IES Abroad, fall-only students participate in a 3-credit pre-semester tutorial (TU399 Rhetoric, Research & Writing: Preparing for the Oxbridge Tutorial) in London. You live and study in London for three weeks prior to the start of the term in Oxford.
Designed to prepare you to succeed at the University of Oxford, this independent study tutorial sharpens your skills in oral and written rhetoric. You work one-on-one with IES Abroad London tutors (some of whom also teach at Oxford), and are held to the same standards as matriculated Oxford students. The subject for the tutorial is directed and shaped by your own academic interests. The specific discipline designation replaces “TU” on your final transcript. While in London, you will live in apartment-like residence halls.
St. Catherine’s College
St. Catherine’s College, whose foundation stone was laid by Her Majesty the Queen on November 4, 1960, welcomed its first undergraduates two years later. Although St. Catherine’s is the youngest college in Oxford, it is also one of the largest with 450 undergraduates and 160 postgraduates, as well as 70 fellows and lecturers.
In addition to its formal academics, St. Catherine’s is known for its extracurricular opportunities in music, drama, and sports, and is generally regarded as one of the friendliest and most open colleges in Oxford.
The college was designed to be a modern reflection of a traditional Oxford college. At the heart of the college lies a rectangular quad, its sides flanked by student rooms built in the conventional Oxford “staircase” format, its ends consisting of the Dining Hall and Library.
The facilities also include a large junior common room with a debating pit, television and game room, small theater, and music house. Squash courts, a weight room, and punt house are also on-site. You can also utilize a boathouse and playing fields for rugby, soccer, and field hockey nearby.
This program utilizes the same grading scale and credit system as the USA.
Part of making you feel at home in Oxford is doing our best to help you feel safe and cared for. Whether it is an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or the field trips that take you places off the beaten path—we’re all about our student services. This is just one of the things we’re known for.
Life in Oxford:
Imagine yourself sitting in class, listening to your world-class professor speaking about Shakespeare’s plays, and Winston Churchill’s life. But you’re not at your home university—you’re learning in Oxford where it all began! This is your chance to study at one of the most renowned universities in the world: the University of Oxford.
Our program offers you the opportunity to directly enroll in St. Catherine’s College, one of the 38 self-governing colleges that together make up the University of Oxford. In 2011, the University of Oxford ranked as the 4th best university in the world, according to Times Higher Education.
Enjoy studying at one of the oldest universities in the world—teaching existed here in some form as early as 1096. Today, Oxford has a total student population of more than 21,000, with more than 140 nationalities represented in its student body, and is a renowned seat of learning and tradition. The student body at the University of Oxford is diverse, as well as its professors—about 40 percent of the University of Oxford’s academic staff are citizens of countries other than the United Kingdom. What a great way to meet new people from across the globe!
You have the opportunity to attend St. Catherine’s College for the fall semester, spring/summer term, or the full academic year. Like all Oxford colleges, St. Catherine’s utilizes the tutorial education system. This allows you to select a highly personalized course of study, based on previous coursework at your home institution and your academic interests. You meet with a tutor on a regular basis, either alone or with another student, to discuss the written work produced for each meeting. These tutorials are supplemented by lectures.
Oxford will also be your classroom. Enjoy the vibrant intellectual and social life that Oxford has to offer. Explore the city’s stone buildings and classic cloistered colleges that are integrated into the fabric of the town center. Get to know the faculty and students who come from around the world to live and work in this beautiful city. Welcome to study abroad!
We want you to feel at home in Oxford, so we will do everything we can to help you integrate into life in England. Selecting an Accommodation Block (see the Housing & Meals sections) is a great way to make friends with local students.
While abroad, students continue to pay their Case tuition rather than the tuition at their new institution. In addition there are several expenses students’ financial aid can potentially help to fund. These are listed in the attachments below.